By Kathleen Riley-Daniels
Do you know where your pet food comes from? The pet food industry is big business, and four of the top five companies are based in the United States. The following list shows the top five highest grossing pet food manufacturers based on data from 2009 and 2010. These top companies are grossing about $35 billion dollars per year in pet-related sales.
1. Mars Inc. (USA Headquarters)
Founded in 1911, Mars, Incorporated is a private, family-owned company (#5 on Forbes list of top American companies) that is one of the world’s largest food companies. Mars has six business segments: Chocolate, Petcare, Wrigley Gum and Confections, Food, Drinks, and Symbioscience. The world headquarters is located in McLean, Virginia, USA and Mars Petcare is based in Franklin, Tennessee, USA
- Approximate 2009 global retail pet sales in the United States was $13.3 billion
- Top pet brands: Advance, Cesar, Dentabone, Dentastix, Exelpet, Greenies, Jumbone, Natural Choice, Nutro, Pedigree, Royal Canin, Sheba, Temptations, The Goodlife Recipe, Ultra, Whiskas
- Mars Petcare launched the Power of Pets Program in 2010, a new community-focused health initiative. The company is collaborating with YMCAs in cities across the USA bringing pet-friendly health, education and programming to communities.
2. Nestlé SA / NestléPurina PetCare(Switzerland Headquarters)
Founded in 1905 when the Anglo-Swiss Milk Company and Farine Lactée Henri Nestlé merged. The company grew significantly during the First World War and again following the Second World War. World headquarters: Vevey, Switzerland and Nestlé Purina PetCare headquartered in St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- Approximate 2009 global retail sales: US $12.9 billion
- Top brands: Alpo, Beneful, Cat Chow, Dog Chow, Fancy Feast, Felix, Friskies, Gourmet, One, Pro Plan, Waggin’ Train
3. Colgate-Palmolive Co. / Hill’s Pet Nutrition (USA Headquarters)
Colgate-Palmolive Companywas founded in 1806. The small soap and candle business that William Colgate began in New York City has become a truly global company serving hundreds of millions of consumers worldwide. World headquarters: New York, New York, USA and Hill’s Pet Nutrition is headquartered in Topeka, Kansas, USA.
- Approximate 2009 global retail sales: US $3.4 billion
- Top brands: Hill’s Science Diet, Hill’s Prescription Diet
4. Procter & Gamble Co. (USA Headquarters)
P&G was founded in 1837 by two men who met by chance. William Procter, emigrating from England, established himself as a candle maker in Cincinnati, which was a busy center of commerce and industry in the early nineteenth century. And James Gamble, arriving from Ireland, apprenticed himself to a soap maker. The two might never have met had they not married sisters Olivia and Elizabeth Norris, whose father convinced his new sons-in-law to become business partners. As a result, in 1837, a bold new enterprise was born: Procter & Gamble.World headquarters: Cincinnati, Ohio, USA and P&G Pet Care headquarters is located in Dayton, Ohio, USA.
- Approximate 2009 global retail sales: US $3.3 billion
- Top brands: Eukanuba, Iams, Natura
- Procter & Gamble accelerated its commitment to sustainability in 2010 by unveiling a long-term environmental sustainability vision. As part of P&G’s strategy to grow responsibly, P&G Pet Care will work towards a long-term environmental vision that includes only sourcing sustainable fish for cat foods.
5. Del Monte Foods Co. (USA Headquarters)
Del Monte is founded in 1916 in San Francisco. The company was originally called Calpak and was created through a merger of four large California canning companies. In 1967, Calpak changed its name to Del Monte Corporation.
- Approximate 2009 global retail sales: US $1.8 billion
- Top brands: Meow Mix, Kibbles n’ Bits, Milk-Bone, Snausages, Nature’s Recipe (Cat and Dog)
What is your dog’s favorite food and treats? Share your thoughts in the comments.
Thanks for stopping past and be sure to check out our easy on-line shopping and “like” us on Facebook.